The Assistant Merchandise Planner responsible for supporting the Planning team in driving sales, margin, turn and growth by devising and recommending allocation strategies and supporting assortment optimization. The position requires strong business acumen and an understanding of Merchandising. This role requires the ability to translate market, customer and financial data into strategies that will allow Macy's to maximize sales, inventory and bottom line profitability to compete differently in a changing retail environment. A fundamental requirement is the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Assistant Merchandise Planner will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner who possesses professional maturity and ability to build strong partnerships. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective at devising and recommending assortment planning strategies at department, class, and vendor levels.
The successful candidate will:
* Make \"company first\" decisions. * Ability to influence Merchant partners. * Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training. * Develop innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges. * Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership. * Self-motivated and demonstrates initiative. * Relishes in a fast paced environment and is effective under pressure. * Leverage collaborative partnerships with counterparts to drive business strategies.
* Adhere to Financial Planning and Private Brands calendar to manage business priorities. * Support market buys and communicate SKU plans to buying counterparts to drive assortment decisions in market. * Contribute to the development of assortment plans which support overall business and promotional strategies. * Assist in Market preparation and attend local markets to observe and learn responsibilities.
Assortment Vision and Strategy
* Collaborate with Merchants to ensure channel plans support top line strategic and financial objectives. * Create historical reports and data analysis to surface key opportunities. * Perform assortment analytics to understand department core assortment.
* Work with Merchants and Vendors to develop assortment plans that support channel needs and leverage opportunities. * Recommend and execute assortment edits. * Provide replenishment assortment recommendations. * Understand and utilize retail math formulas to analyze sales and determine appropriate allocations. * Effectively manage workload to prioritize allocations. * Consistently identifies, communicates, and negotiates appropriate allocation timing to maximize business needs. * The ability to run reports and utilize systems and tools.
In-Season Assortment Management and Allocation
* Adjust assortment plans by channel as trends evolve within season, determining changes to breadth and depth. * Analyze in-season product performance, focused on channel demand; class/category performance, style performance, and major marketing performance. * Execute reorder allocation. * Set allocation parameters and run allocation in system (A3). * Analyze assortment effectiveness by channel and react to business opportunities. * Analyze standard reports and create recaps to share insights with Merchandise Planner. * Partner with Merchandise Planner to discuss allocations and minimum presentations. * Work with the Merchandise Planner on allocations. * Monitor vendor performance and make recommendations to Merchandise Planner to maximize profitability. * Demonstrate the ability to react to in-season sales trends by communicating and taking appropriate actions in allocations. * Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
* Bachelor's Degree (Business, Finance or equivalent). * Ideally, 1-plus years of experience in retail, catalogue or ecommerce buying or planning.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
* Run and interpret reports and tools assigned by Planner. * Readily grasps numerical concepts and interprets financial information accurately.
* This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking. * May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. * May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time. * Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment. * May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
* Basic understanding of financial performance metrics and assortment planning. * Strong analytical and excel skills. * Identifies opportunities and collaborates with business partners and upper management to implement ideas to improve business results. * Strong technical skills with excel proficiency.
* Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance. * Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient. * Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others. * Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome. * Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization. * Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity. * Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy's Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.