- Department of the Treasury
- $95,430.00 -157,490.00/year*
21 Warren St
Help Duties Summary
WHAT IS THE LB&I DIVISION? The Large Business and International (LB&I) business unit provides service and enforcement activities to support tax compliance of businesses and related entities with assets of $10 million or more, as well as small U.S. businesses engaged in international, U.S. citizens abroad, and foreign persons and businesses with a U.S. tax requirement.
See Other Information for Locations.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN INTERNAL REVENUE AGENT, SENIOR PROGRAM SPECIALIST DO? The Senior Program Specialist serves as an expert technical program specialist demonstrating a comprehensive knowledge of and experience in applying laws, policies, regulations, and precedents applicable to the segments of the Service's program affected by the assigned project or study. A Revenue Agent, Senior Program Specialist uses their knowledge of diversified professional accounting or auditing work to interpret and apply Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships, and corporations. You will be expected to apply knowledge of management principles and processes to perform project management duties and to effectively coordinate and integrate project objectives and recommendations with key line and/or staff functions of the Service. You will communicate both orally and in writing with various levels of audiences including executives.
As an Internal Revenue Agent, Senior Program Specialist you will:
* Plan, coordinate, and conduct analysis of examination programs and tax law issues involving large and complex businesses, i.e. with $10 million or more in assets, with extensive subsidiaries, diversified activities, multiple partners, and national or international scope and operations. Analyze business trends and practices to recommend and implement tax administration and auditing strategies affecting a major industry and/or international business segment.
* Monitor, review, analyze and evaluate the full range of Large Business and International (LB&I) projects, strategies, and operations to determine their effectiveness and impact on corporate and international taxpayers and employees, LB&I pre-filing and post-filing strategies, customer satisfaction, and the efficient use of IRS resources.
* Identify problems, best practices, and emerging tax compliance issues; develop, recommend, and facilitate process improvements and planning options; and report results to affected LB&I and other IRS management officials.
* Examine corporate accounting systems and practices to determine that recommended programs, polices, and management applications recommended are fully compatible with the technical and administrative provisions of the Internal Revenue Code, IRS regulations and rulings, as well as IRS' balanced measures.
* Review content and assess the impact of new and/or proposed tax or related legislation on IRS operations and/or systems. Prepare guidelines, instructions, and other documents to introduce new initiatives and to recommend effective operations consistent with policies and objectives pertaining to assigned program area. Develop new approaches for analysis of issues.
* May lead or participate in formal or informal studies, either on own initiative or as directed by supervisor or the manager, formulate project proposals and make recommendations on priorities, scope, timing, and techniques for consideration and decision by LB&I management. Studies usually involve the accounting practices, records and controls systems, operations, and economic environment of entire industries or international segments and potential tax issues.
* Exercise complete responsibility and authority to interpret policy, plan and execute program objectives, and develop program operating procedures and methods. Make decisions which are complicated by complex, e.g. industry wide, multiple corporations, etc., and unique technical programs and procedures, e.g. engineering, economics, financial products, computer audits, appraising, etc.
* Actively seek and identify opportunities to improve professional, technical and management skills and abilities.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel locally and/or overnight 1-5 nights per month.
* Job family (Series)
0512 Internal Revenue Agent
* Agents, Internal Revenue Service
* Agents, Revenue
* Examiners, Tax
* Internal Revenue Service Agents
* Revenue Agents
* Tax Examiners
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Refer to \"Other Information\"
* Click \"Print Preview\" to review the entire announcement before applying.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
* IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must have: A Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance. OR A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above. OR
A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia. OR
Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year.
In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledges: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledges please refer to refer to
In addition to the above, you must meet the requirements described below:
GS-14 LEVEL: You must have one year of specializedexperience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing work that required: knowledge of and skill in applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; skill in interpreting and applying Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships, and corporations; knowledge of business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; knowledge of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; and, skill in interacting effectively with a broad range of individuals and negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business related professions. To be qualifying, your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate an expert knowledge, accomplishment, and the ability to lead major project assignments that required a wide range of analytical and evaluative methods and techniques, both qualitative and quantitative, sufficient to accomplish complex projects or studies broad in scope and magnitude. You must also demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of, through experience and application, of a range of laws, policies, regulations, and precedents applicable to the segment(s) of the Service's program affected by the assigned project or study; knowledge of management principles and processes to perform project management duties to effectively coordinate and integrate project objectives and recommendations with key line and/or staff functions of the Service; and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Additional Locations: 5100 River Rd, Schiller Park, IL (IL2558); 575 N Pennsylvania, Indianapolis, IN (IN0133); 555 N. Woodlawn St., Building 4, Wichita, KS (KS1615); 600 Dr Martin L King Pl, Louisville, KY (KY0086); 1555 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA (LA1336); 15 New Sudbury Street, Boston, MA (MA0131); One Montvale Ave., Stoneham, MA (MA5632); 118 Turnpike Road, Southborough, MA (MA5863); 120 Liberty Street, Brockton, MA (MA5955); 31 Hopkins Plaza, Baltimore, MD (MD0055); 6010 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD (MD1248); 985 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI (MI0800); 22600 Hall Rd, Ste 102, Clinton Township, MI (MI1942); 38275 West Twelve Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI (MI2097); 3251 N Evergreen Dr Ne, Grand Rapids, MI (MI2210); 3971 S Research Park Drive, Suite B, Ann Arbor, MI (MI2218); 917 N. Saginaw St, Flint, MI (MI3022); 1550 American Blvd East, Bloomington, MN (MN1675);1122 Town And Country Commons, Chesterfield, MO (MO1833); 2850 NE Independence Ave, Lee's Summit, MO (MO2008); 7751 Brier Creek Parkway, Ste 102, Raleigh, NC (NC1151); 10715 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC (NC2598); 4905 Koger Boulevard, Greensboro, NC (NC2668); 1616 Capitol Ave., Omaha, NE (NE0051); 200 Federal Plaza, Paterson, NJ (NJ0145); 200 Sheffield Street, Mountainside, NJ (NJ4360); 101 Wood Ave S, Iselin, NJ (NJ4664); 100 Dey Place, Edison, NJ (NJD001); 110 City Parkway, Las Vegas, NV (NV7516); 201 Varick Street, New York, NY (NY0128); 26 Federal Plaza, New York, NY (NY0282); 11 A Clinton Ave, Albany, NY (NY0300); 290 Broadway - Foley Square, New York City, NY (NY0350); 255 East Ave, Rochester, NY (NY7064); 130 South Elmwood Avenue, Suite 100, Buffalo, NY (NY7340); 999 Stewart Ave, Bethpage, NY (NY7501); 550 Main Street, Cincinnati, OH (OH0189); 200 N High St, Columbus, OH (OH0208); 6450 Rockside Woods Blvd S, Suite 300 Independence, OH (OH2320); 55 North Robinson, Oklahoma City, OK (OK1356); 224 S Boulder Ave, Tulsa, OK (OK1358); 1220 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR (OR0043); 1000 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA (PA0233); 600 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA (PA0277); 601 S. Henderson Road, King Of Prussia, PA (PA0507); 2970 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA (PA0809); City View Plaza, 48 Carr 165, Suite 2000, Guaynabo, PR (PR4001); 60 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI (RI7085); 5333 Getwell Road, Memphis, TN (TN0005); 801 Broadway, Nashville, TN (TN0052); 127 International Drive, Franklin, TN (TN2709); 300 E. Eighth Street, Austin, TX (TX0227); 8701 S Gessner, Houston, TX (TX0297); 1919 Smith, Houston, TX (TX0298); 4050 Alpha Rd, Farmers Branch, TX (TX0302); 3651 S IH-35, Austin, TX (TX2038); 12941 I 45, Houston, TX (TX2298); 8626/8700 Tesoro Drive, San Antonio, TX (TX2559); 5450 Stratum Dr, Ste 150, Fort Worth, TX (TX2653); 12309 N Mopac Expwy, Austin, TX (TX2835); 2484 S Washington Blvd., Suite 200, Ogden, UT (UT1431); 105 23rd Street, Ogden, UT (UT1434); 324 25th Street, Ogden, UT (UT0035); 178 South Rio Grande St, Salt Lake City, UT (UT1522); 7980 Science Applications Ct, Suite 1251, Vienna, VA (VA0008); 400 North Eighth Street, Richmond, VA (VA0088); 915 Second Avenue, Seattle, WA (WA0101); N14 W24200 Tower Place, Suite 202, Waukesha, WI (WI1696); or 211 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI (WI1720).* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...